Monday, July 16, 2007

Life


Yesterday brought yet another of the many blessings I've received since leaving everything I knew and heading to Alaska. After finishing up my duties in the bird laboratory, just before I went home, I was told one of the chicks was hatching (there are a number of eggs layed by our sea ducks, called Eiders). I got to watch (and film) for about 40 minutes while this little chick pushed his way out of the egg and opened his eyes to the world for the first time. An amazing and glorious sight. The little guy crawled all around his hatcher box for a while before finally cuddling up in his towel and getting some well-deserved rest. Adventures can happen at any time here...one of the many reasons I'm grateful to have been rescued from my cubicle and given a chance to enjoy such wonders. Thanks be to God.

3 comments:

Scott and Beth said...

Good job...you are posting again! Where was the little guy's mom?

Scott and Beth said...

are you sure it's not a cat? I think its a cat.

Jonathan said...

Mom and Dad were outside. The chick was incubated and hatched in the lab. Now (s)he has a little pool to stay in.