Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Moose Sighting


I have at last seen meese (that's the hip plural word for moose) in Alaska. It was beginning to get comical that everyone around here was seeing moose in their yards, on the streets of town, and everywhere else, but I had managed to not see a single one at all. Finally, yesterday I went with my manager to Anchorage for a job fair. She picked me up at my place then drove back to her place to show me the one chillin' in her back yard. Then we saw 10 or so in the fields as we were nearing Anchorage. So my only sightings have been ones far away in the fields (see picture) or the one from the early morning when it was dark and I only saw his silhouette. But still, I've seen meese. I can sleep easier tonight. Yesterday was productive for wildlife spotting...we also saw buffalo and sheep. Next on my agenda...bears. They need to hurry and wake up.

12 comments:

Scott and Beth said...

The moose picture isn't coming up for me! Now I will never know what it looks like!

Scott and Beth said...

It came up! However...I still don't know what they look like...they are too far away. Try again...this time get closer to them.

Scott and Beth said...

Scott: Jonthan you poor poor city boy... Those are cows!

daniel said...

yeah, i'd definitely be excited for the bears to wake up. they have a great way of eating human beings, and i bet that would be neat to be a part of.

if you've not seen grizzly man, stop reading and start watching.

Jonathan said...

There are no cows in Alaska. Those are moose. I'm gonna eat one. And Beth...how dare you. As for the bears, there are actually people that get eaten here. If I go hiking, I have to take a whistle and go slowly around bends in the trail to make sure I don't happen up on one. Getting eaten is something I'd like to avoid.

Scott and Beth said...

Scott: When I'm out in the woods I carry a "whistle" as well. Only it shoots a 150 grain balistic tip at 3100 ft lbs. hehehe

Scott and Beth said...

I don't want to go hiking while I'm visiting you...I think getting eaten by a bear would ruin my vacation.

stoogle said...

"I went with my manager to ... a job fair"
Do you both need new jobs?

"drove back to her place"
Hangin' out with the manager, at her place eh? To see the moose eh?

Jonathan said...

Beck is teaching us the method by which some people "biblically prove" that Jesus was homosexual. You know...the cut and paste method.

daniel said...

but his argument is so cohesive! how can you dispute it?

p.s. airguitarnation.com

Jonathan said...

So is Air Guitar Nation one I'm gonna have to travel up to Anchorage to see? The slogan is great!

daniel said...

if they even have it in anchorage. may want to wait for it to hit dvd. i expect it to be in limited theaters, though i'm reviewing it and calling chattanoogans to take action and beg the bijou to bring it to town!

i'll update on my success (it'll be a couple months, i imagine)