Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Update

It is time for me to update my blog...according to Beth. Not much news, although today is Ash Wednesday and thus the beginning of the Lenten season, which I have come to appreciate more and more, even though it's usually not a part of protestant communities. I am busy in a SCUBA class tonight so I used my lunch break to attend an afternoon mass and receive my ashes. Most of the time, Christians rightly focus on the salvation granted us by Christ, but there is also great benefit in remembering and showing remorse and sorrow for our sins (Godly sorrow of course, which produces fruit). The observance of Ash Wednesday and the Lenten season provide a great opportunity to to do that, and to mourn our fallen state as we advance to the celebration of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ at Easter. I appreciate using this time to show remorse and special attention to my sins in the presence of God; not like the remorse I feel after an individual sin, but the sorrow I feel for being a fallen creature born into sin and banished from Eden. I've found this focus also very fruitful for me in the celebration of Easter...it means so much more to celebrate Christ's saving work when you have spent a proper amount of time beforehand reflecting on your NEED for such propitiation. I also enjoy the tradition of giving up a normal part of our lives during the Lenton season. As humans, and especially wealthy ones in a wealthy country, we often get wrapped up in materialism and "me." By giving up something we are used to having for the 40 days leading up to Easter, it helps us stay focused that life not about our own earthly wellbeing, enjoyment, and to-do lists; we don't even deserve to stand in the presence of God, and I love being frequently reminded of this reality during Lent. I am always reminded that I can make it 40 days without anything on this earth...it is Christ's forgiveness that I can't make it one second without. This is a reality I should live every day, but as a human, my stubborn heart has to be often reminded. And thus, I am excited to observe Lent and look forward to the upcoming celebration of Easter.

12 comments:

Jonathan said...

Well...my average comment total per blog entry is somewhere around 6. This entry so far is somewhat below average...0. So I figured I'd help it out a little myself.

daniel said...

you would

what do you say to something that's actually thoughtful?

amen!

p.s. too bad you're not in town. tonight is the church "talent" show. i'm going to make my kids do something really awesome. and by really awesome i mean really awesome.

daniel said...

by the way--does it make you a dork that you took the time to average out the number of comments you get on each entry?

(these two comments should push it toward the average, eh?)

daniel said...

also, my average comment per entry is somewhere between 0 and 1. probably closer to 0, so don't feel bad.

Jonathan said...

In that case, you've really outdone yourself this time. So what are the gals doing tonight? I wish I could be there for the show. I mean I like talent shows, and I like things that are really awesome...it's a win win.

Scott and Beth said...

I hadn't commented because I quit reading this blog...too much time had passed between comments.

Jonathan said...

Well if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black...

daniel said...

pots can't talk.

Studio P Photography said...

So I'm curious to know, what did you give up? Everything? Are you now living in your truck in the frozen tundra?

Scott and Beth said...

Thank you, Daniel! I really hate that saying!

stoogle said...

That's what I call 40 days of purpose.

daniel said...

you mean porpoise?