Thursday, September 4, 2008

Protestors at McCain's Speech

This just in - John McCain is neither as good looking (few are) nor as interesting to listen to as Sarah Palin. His speech started quite slow but I was impressed by the end. Instead of making a series of promises, he gave a speech that showed he knows how to love and care about others over himself. He sold me with it much more than Obama's promises that he would provide us pretty much everything under the sun. But lately this has not been a blog of praise but rather a rant and while I don't consider myself a pessimist, I must take upon myself, once again, the unpleasant duty of pointing out ridiculousness. I'm not too keen on labels as I think labels too often stick us in a box and influence our thoughts through biases and feelings that we have to be a certain way to fit the label we've assigned ourselves. In other words, it can be an imprisonment that blinds us from objective thought. As such, I try not to ever call myself a Republican (for that matter, I generally even try to avoid referring to myself as a Christian, a term that has less and less objective meaning). But no matter how hard I try to avoid labeling myself a Republican, I'm always faced with a new reason why I should wear that title with pride. Tonight a shameful display was put on by liberal protestors of McCain...again. Outside, they had to be tear gassed because they were creating trouble, blocking streets, kicking police officers, etc. Inside, it seemed even worse. McCain's speech was interrupted multiple times as people yelled things and tried to get on stage to do who knows what. A particular organised group is wearing pink clothing with spray painted messages. I remember something like 5 different times the speech was interrupted tonight. Now I realise there are plenty of lunatics and weirdos that call themselves Republicans, just as there are plenty that are staunch Democrats. I don't pretend my side is without them. But I also never saw it from Republicans. Not once in Denver at the DNC did I see coverage of any rowdy protesting. Again, not once. Maybe I missed it, but as I watched it about as much as the RNC, it seems an unlikely coincidence that I saw it so much in Minnesota and not at all in Colorado. There are two possible explanations for this. Firstly, perhaps the one-sided media was not interested in letting anyone know that Democrats were being heckled and protested. This can't explain everything, however, because during McCain's speech, it was unavoidable. He had to completely stop multiple times. That's not something even the media can hide, and they're good at hiding news when they want to. So the only explanation I can think of is perhaps Republican leaning people are just a classier bunch. "Whoa, Jonathan," you say. "That's out of line to say such a thing." Perhaps. But, as I've mentioned the last few days, I'm done being nice, humble, and respectful to absurdity. I'm ready to call this crap out for what it is and, stereotyping as it might be, it seems a feasible explanation in my opinion, and very fitting with historical left extremists. Case in point, I just read a story about how hippie Miami students in the 70's protested the war by setting buildings on fire. What? That's not even close to consistent with a message of peace. Obviously, not all, or even most, Democrats are like this. And maybe it's not fair for me to make such a stereotype. But the point is this: When I see yahoos behaving with no respect or temperance and realise that they're all Obama supporters, it makes me very happy to know that I am not voting for the candidate that motivates them. My mind will now have a permanent association between disrespectful protestors and Obama supporters. I'm glad no one will be able to make an association like that with me because Republicans simply didn't do it in Denver. Call me unfair or biased if you want, but that's the fact. At least so far in this election, one side appears to be much classier and I'm happy to be a part of that side.

3 comments:

Scott and Beth said...

I have not seen his speech yet. I will try to watch it tonight or tomorrow. I agree with your points here though.

Scott and Beth said...

Your profile picture was taken at my house.

Jonathan said...

His speech was no slam dunk, that's for sure. At the end, he did make some stirring comments. The speech and delivery were still wanting but the message was great. He went on about how if you don't like the way things are going, get involved. Run for office, visit an orphanage, give to charity, etc. It was refreshing. And yes, that picture is one of the best of me.