Sunday, September 14, 2008

Uplifting Thoughts

Since I've done nothing but rant and complain of late, I thought I'd take a day off from my duty of identifying BS and talk about something more pleasant. The Ike storm system moved through today bringing high winds; as a result a lot of beautiful old trees came down and the whole town is without power and internet, save for a small portion of campus where my office happens to be. Hence my ability to post a blog. But following a day of destruction, I attended my normal 9:30pm mass which was done out of necessity by candlelight. This was not only a beautiful and welcomed deviation from the norm, but, especially fitting, we had a guest speaker discussing mission work he had done in Trinidad and Haiti where the people have so little. It was ironic that such a talk came on a night when we all were remembering how to live without basic electricity and internet. It was a sobering yet great talk. I'm glad we have that kind of thing from time to time to remind us of our blessings and of the needs that God has given us arms and feet to go out and fill.

2 comments:

Scott and Beth said...

Due to my vacation...I got behind on your blogs. I will catch up soon and give you my thoughts...as I know you are waiting to hear them.

Jonathan said...

i AM waiting to hear them. you represent my audience, ha ha.